Saturday, March 23, 2024

VisuAlchemy—A RETROSPECTIVE OF JUDY WAPP'S AMAZING ART

§


Artist, activist, radio personality and friend, Judy Wapp, who I've written about before (here, from 2013), has a show on at the Nelson Museum, Archives & Gallery. It's a retrospective of her art, with collage work that includes a number of pieces from private collections. 

The place was packed. I saw people I haven't seen in years, all of us there to celebrate Judy's wonderful art that is an in-depth examination of the effect media has on, well, everything. The evening began with a welcome to everyone by Arin Fay who curated the show.


Music was provided by my boy the minstrel, Jesse Lee.  


There was much excitement when the spirit of Elvis entered the room in the form of Judy's daughter, Bessie Wapp, who was larger than life—or at least, taller!



Like many of us, I've tried stilt-walking. When I was a kid my dad made me a set that got me maybe a foot off the ground and that was scary enough. Bessie is truly a master at it.
 

But it wasn't just her antics as she made her way around the room that was special; she did it while singing Love Me Tender to her mom, who had a bit of an Elvis connection back in the day but it's not my story to tell. It was a truly beautiful moment and you can see it here

Must have got something in my eye.

After that we got to go up to the gallery where Judy's art is on display until June 22. Here she is with one of the many professional photographers who were in attendance, Jeremy Addington. 





For some reason there were a lot of ties on display. Back in the last century if you were driving from Balfour up towards Kaslo you couldn't help but notice that all the hydro poles were wearing ties. Many an urban legend arose as to their provenance. Was it a grad prank? Aliens? Hmmmmm.

Ted couldn't remember how to tie one and I never learned so he wore his like this. Here is is with Heather Haake.


Heather, Jeremy, Judy, Ted and I got to know each other in Tom Wayman's creative writing class in 1991. When Ted and I got married, Judy created this for us. It's the first thing you see when you come into our new home in Nelson. 

Yes, after forty-nine years for Ted and nearly twenty-seven for me, we've left Ootischenia and are living in a lovely condo in Nelson. Moving is hell; I really don't recommend it even if I did lose twenty pounds in the process! We've been here just over a month and it feels like home already.


If you're in the area, check out Judy's show. Like her, it's simply wonderful. 

§



5 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks for sharing all the images of a good time at the gallery. And your new place, too! We will make sure to see Judy’s show soon. Hugs

moe lyons said...

It was an amazing evening all round.

walkin the dawg said...

Thanks for posting this Linda. Looks like it was a great event. Sorry we missed it.

Carina Costom said...

Hi Linda,What a lovely account:) Best, Carina

Elly Nobbs said...

I enjoyed your post on Judy Wapp's art show. The opening sounded like lots of fun! And a big congrats on the successful move to your new home.