Saturday, April 01, 2023

A CAUTIOUS RETURN TO BLOGGING

§

Hello there, blog readers. It's been a long time since I posted anything. Even though I've been close to home all this time, I've just not felt like it. Lots of changes have happened since last I wrote: Ted is dealing with dementia and various other issues that require attention. My tricky left ankle, that has bothered me for the past fifteen years or so, really went off last year. Thanks to osteoporosis I suffered a stress fracture to the bottom of my fibula and was in an air cast for four months. It's unreliable, as in I never know when it's going to act up and when it does it feels like someone stabbed it with a knife (or how I assume it might feel, never having been truly stabbed) so really long walks are out. No more Camino-like adventures for me, I guess, and that makes me sad.

I'm still working in the poetry mines. Thanks to Zoom, on Sunday afternoons I've been taking workshops with Paul E. Nelson and we're into year three now. October 6 to 8 the Cascadia Poetry Festival is happening in Seattle. I won't be able to go but thanks to having attended a couple of previous ones, I highly recommend it.

Last year I published three chapbooks for a couple of different groups of poets. 

I'm very pleased to have three poems in the current Event Magazine. Three! At least a couple of them originated as NaPoWriMo poems, and here we are again, it's April and I'm aiming to write a poem a day for the month. I'm not, as I did in previous years, going to post them here. Makes it awkward if I want to submit them anywhere, as lit mags prefer to be the first out of the gate to publish new work.



It's interesting; coming back and trying to write a blog post is proving to be quite challenging for me. Like I've misplaced my voice or something. Here, I'll leave you with a nice venison stew to warm you up til next time!





§

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I wish I could dip a bowl of your soup. I'm sorry you won't be posting your poems, but I understand.

https://ruffdraftsite.wordpress.com/

judydykstrabrown.com said...

That soup shot caused a surge of nostalgia for me, too. I had forgotten about my mom's beef stew and unfortunately have no idea how to replicate it.. but it was so good. Spent a short time in La Manz last year and missed seeing you and Ted! xoox Judy