Sunday, April 18, 2021

Collage

§


Okay, I just had way too much fun doing this one! Here's the prompt: "...write a poem based on the title of one of the chapters from Susan G. Wooldridge’s Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words. The book’s  table of contents can be viewed using Amazon’s “Look inside” feature."

Sure enough, there is an abundance of great titles to choose from. So many, in fact, I couldn't pick just one, so I turned a bunch of them into the poem. The italicized lines are from the book, including the title.
And the image? It's of one of last summer's postcard poems when I was experimenting with collage!



Collage

 

 

I’m collecting words and creating a whirlpool

 

                                    catching myself in an aisle at the grocery

 

            weeping over gas,       food,       

            longing for the poemfish to find me,

 

and bring me back over the poet bridge

 

to the centre of the house.

 

Paul who breaks pencils

talks about lawnmower poets 

whose

words

march

resolutely

down

the

side

of

the

page

so

it

looks

like

a

neatly

mowed

lawn.

 

He suggests caterpillar    poets are more interesting,


                        sticking words             all over the                  page                in  a

 

random yet not random

            fashion

                        it’s more intriguing    to read

 

            spaces              instead of commas

                                                                                    and the odd                             !

 

for no good reason at all.  !  . 

 

            Who were you in my dream,

            stirring the sky with your fear of poetry,

                        being visited by words?

 

I dress myself with rain

            and 

the blue socks              from my grandmother.

 

I know it looks like I’m lying to tell the truth

 

                                        but to tell the truth, I’m lying.


§

No comments: