Tuesday, February 02, 2021

NaHaiWriMo—A MONTH OF HAIKU—CAT STRETCHES, SNORES

§

cat stretches, snores
register disgorges heat
winter      winter



Well, there we go. Two in a row. This one I can illustrate. Wasn't about to go outside last night just before midnight to try and capture the slushy snow and today, when I was shovelling some of it from the mouth of the driveway, I didn't have my camera on me. Once again, that second line, 7 syllables. Whether I intend to or not, there it is. Otherwise, I'm moving away from the 5s: This one's a 4/7/4. 

Who cares? Apparently I do.





I just did the unthinkable. I edited yesterday's offering! Because I can. If I want to. Upon rereading it, I realized Saint Brigid was weeping, not crying, and she belonged at the end of the haiku, not at the beginning. And I still hesitate to call it a haiku. Where is the turn? Is there one? The seasonal reference is there, though, and now bang, in the very first line. This is fun. Soon I may confess on Social that I'm doing this. I need to study this form more. 

Blogger, why? Why did you change how things work around here? My labels are still there, but don't all show at once. It used to be that as soon as I published a new post a copy of it found its way into my email. Just now I tried to put a title under the picture and it's not there and I'm just not into figuring out why, at least not right now. 

I am studying. Just read a very long essay by Charles Olson that I barely understand and I'm about to listen to a couple of Diane di Prima interviews. All this in preparation for the workshop on seriality I'm taking that starts this Sunday. 

§

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I think I will make the effort to write some haiku. I am doing peace postcards and haiku would be a perfect size for a postcard.

Linda Crosfield said...

I did that with my second POPO group in 2020. A lot of really short poems.

LT said...

I love your haiku!

Kristin said...

Most of my poems this year are short, but not counting, not haiku. Just short.