Thursday, April 15, 2021

Read to Me

§

NaPoWriMo 2021 Day 15:

"...think about a small habit you picked up from one of your parents, and then to write a piece that explores an early memory of your parent engaged in that habit, before shifting into writing about yourself engaging in the same habit."




Read to Me

 

 

Always, always his nose in a book

each night after dinner he’d read aloud

            Now We Are Six 

                        and all the rest, then 

            The Wind in the Willows

and as I grew, he taught me humour with

            Cheaper by the Dozen, 

            and Onions in the Stew,

            the horror of Lobo the King of Currumpaw, 

            and the mystery of Sherlock Holmes.


He induced shivers with 

            Comes a breathing hard behind thee—

            snuffle-snuffle through the night—

then he calmed me singing Daddy’s Little Girl.


Once, before he lost his mind

he wrote a letter, quoted

            Let me not to the marriage of true minds

            Admit impediments…

and added if ever I found someone

with whom I could truly share my mind

            I should marry him.

 

I guess he knew that would be a tough one.

 

He was long gone before I did,

never met my son, 

doesn’t know his wife has outlived

just about everybody,

and sometimes I go to where he lies,

read him poems of my own.


§

2 comments:

Judy Dykstra-Brown said...

So tender, Linda. I love this poem. Both my dad and mom loved reading and passed that on to all of us. You are right. That is the next best gift after love. My dad read us Dr. Seuss and Old Mother West Wind Stories, but he loved Shakespeare as well. This from a man who had to quit school after 8th grad to go to work to help his folks save the homestead. He also quoted Longfellow. Unfortunately, I never appreciated my folks adequately until after they were gone. I loved them, but really didn't think about the extent to which they contributed to the richness of my life until years later.

Linda Crosfield said...

So true. I often say I’m glad my mom has lived as long as she has so I could begin to appreciate her.