Thursday, April 08, 2021

leave gophers alone

§


"Today, I’d like to challenge you to read a few of the poems from Spoon River Anthology, and then write your own poem in the form of a monologue delivered by someone who is dead. "


That's the Nelson cemetery, a small part of it, actually. I love it there. It's peaceful and beautiful and a great place to walk—and to find names for your characters if you're having trouble thinking up new ones! 

This is the sort of prompt I usually like, but perhaps because I was visiting Mom again today and we both acknowledged that for sure, sooner than later, she'll be gone, all bets being off when you're nearly 101, I'm just not getting anywhere with it. And tomorrow's prompt is up already, too. And besides all that, I have a headache!

So I think I'm just going to write a senryu  for this one. It could be in anybody's voice. I'll give this one to Dad.

leave gophers alone
they're the only things having fun
around here

§

1 comment:

judydykstrabrown.com said...

Ha. Love this. Love your dad...