Thursday, April 17, 2014

PIANO-CAT RAIN DREAM

§

Today’s (optional NaPoWriMo) prompt is to write a poem in which you very specifically describe something in terms of at least three of the five senses. 

I have to say, I'm really having fun with these now. I compose right on my blog, tweak only ever so slightly, fire it off into cyberspace with barely a wave. Poetry month is just great for making me not take my poet self too seriously.



Piano-Cat Rain Dream

Under the delicious warmth of a duvet, 
sleek as the aubergine its cover mimics,
I waken in the still dark morning to rain. 

Not a flash flood spilling from the dark sky
as though poured from a celestial bucket, no, 
this is the distinct plink of a bored child hitting a piano key

over and over and over, the slow knock of a tired flicker
on too-hard wood, the drum of an impatient finger
on a counter when the clerk is taking too long on the phone.

This rain slides down the drain pipe, spits cat-angry
at the bottom, hence the steady    plink     plink     plink
that rouses me from dreams of 

what? They're gone now, washed away by this infernal din
that spills to ground in a silvery swoosh, a terrible trickle
smelling of trees, wind, and the asphalt roof. 

§







2 comments:

P.M. Fong said...

You are mahhhvelous, dahling!

Anonymous said...

Love the rain metaphors/similes. So apt. J (Oh hell, now those damn anti-robot letters to interpret. Linda, I literally cannot see the letters. Save me from this if you can! Do you really have robots trying to break into your poetry blog?)