Friday, April 02, 2021

Where Indeed

§



  1. "And now, for today’s (optional) prompt. In the world of well-known poems, maybe there’s no gem quite so hoary as Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken.” Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a poem about your own road not taken – about a choice of yours that has “made all the difference,” and what might have happened had you made a different choice."

    I'm feeling very un-poetish tonight. One of those why-do-I-bother-it's-all-been-said-better moods. And then I read the Day 2 challenge and it does not help!

    I've written a few "road not taken" poems when I think of it. I just can't summon the energy to get into some of the big roads, the freeways, the superhighways I've managed to avoid. 

    So here's a tanka. What's a tanka? It's a form consisting of five lines, five syllables in the first and third, seven in the other three for a total of thirty-one. (Who thinks these things up?) It's supposed impart a complete picture of an event or mood.



    Where Indeed


    where would I be now

    if I'd listened to my prof

    first year, New Arts One,
     
    who said I should get into

    Creative Writing ASAP


    And because I like to add a photo to my posts I went digging in the photo mines and found one of me taken at a party in somebody's room in one of the residences that year which was 1969–70, University of B.C.

    §



3 comments:

Nina Murray said...

That's a great picture!
I think this caught me in a similarly gloomy mood, so here goes:

Let me put it like this: the road not taken
is a six-lane highway
and whenever you exit
to another language
a new, perpendicular bearing
there are rumble strips,
a red light,
and a toll booth
your mother is manning.

judydykstrabrown.com said...

I don't recognize that raven-haired beauty. I'm accustomed to the frosty-haired one!

Linda Crosfield said...

Nina, I love yours, especially the toll booth! My mother manned mine (ooooooo! unintended alliteration is the best!) for years. For millennia, one could say.