Monday, April 05, 2021

Visiting My Mother

§

NaPoWriMo Day 5:



"This prompt challenges you to find a poem, and then write a new poem that has the shape of the original, and in which every line starts with the first letter of the corresponding line in the original poem."


This one's a lot trickier than it first looks. In addition to adhering to the first letters of the lines in the poem I chose, I also tried to mimic the syllable count. 


I worked off Naomi Shihab Nye's poem, Burning the Old Year.




And as today I got to see my 100-year-old mom in her room again instead of through the looking glass for the first time since Christmas, this poem that came. 


Visiting My Mother

 

Let’s see who she thinks I am today.

Name me—I am her sister

too soon gone, yet always

stitched in her memory,

making her day.

 

Say mother, say daughter, say irrelevant;

loss of one simply leads to the other.

Obscured, I lift my mask to let her

see it’s me, if briefly.

 

When finally her time here ends, she will leave 

a body become ashes, and she’ll head

into the lake she loved, her endmost swim.

 

Quirks I never thought to think I’d miss 

over at last, just memories now 

calling her back, and she will come.


§

8 comments:

Unknown said...

๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’– I miss my Mom! On the other hand, no idea how I'd explain COVID to her..especially wearing a mask into the bank!
Beautiful Linda.

Kristin said...

Calling her back and she will come. Yes.

Lee said...

Love your poems

Phyllis Nelson said...

Perfectly worded last line....love it!

Linda Crosfield said...

Thank you all for reading and commenting.

Judy Dykstra-Brown said...

You brought tears with this one, Linda. So touching and tender...

Alana Chuk said...

"Endmost swim" is a gorgeous image. I also love your choice of source poem!

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

I, of course, love your mom.
Why? Aint we ALL brothrz N sistrz?
Thus, this, my just N worthy liege:
♡ en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ♡
Cya soon.
be@peace.
GBY