Tuesday, April 07, 2020

POETRY MONTH DAY # 7 — PRIME PRINE

§

Today NaPoWriMo suggests we write a poem based on a news article. When news broke that an incredible songwriter/performer died today of COVID-19, well, what other story could I write about? RIP John Prine.



Prime Prine


The time I saw you live
you were opening for Arlo Guthrie 
but I just went to see you.
You covered them all, your glorious songs, 
took us to Montgomery,
showed us the tracks on a young vet’s arm,
taught us a thing or two about long-distance love,
and I wished I could tell you 
how I remembered a tiny kitchen 
in a tiny apartment in Dorval, 
you on the turntable reminding us
to be nice to old people,  
me and a boy, a long, languorous kiss 
where we forgot about the other people 
in the room rolling joints, 
drinking wine, middle of the day, 
beer in the fridge, we’d never be old
like the couple in the song 
and I wish I could tell you 
how the friend who told me about you in ’75 or so
died a few years back and I know 
if there’s any kind of heaven 
she’ll have found you by now, 
be showing you around, 
and I wish I could tell you 
how decades later my son walked down 
a dusty Mexican road playing that same song 
taking me back, 
taking me back like you do.

§

5 comments:

ceeess said...

I saw him perform with Stephen Colbert the other night, a tribute too, as he was already too ill to know. Sorry to learn of his passing. You've certainly done him justice with your poem, Linda.

Linda Crosfield said...

Thanks, Carol. I've wanted to get that little story into a poem for a long time. Turns out he had to die before I could.

Unknown said...

This choked me up Linda! Thanks for writing this - it is beautiful!

Klaus Offermann said...

Wow, Linda. `Prime Prine` is absolutely wonderful. This is the homage John Prine deserves. The poem left me smiling too.
``..that same song / taking me back, / taking me back like you do``.
Indeed.
Thank you for introducing me to the songs of John Prine so many years ago.

Klaus

Klaus Offermann said...

Wow, Linda. `Prime Prine` is absolutely wonderful. This is the homage John Prine deserves. The poem left me smiling too.
``..that same song / taking me back, / taking me back like you do.`` Indeed.
Thank you for introducing me to the songs of John Prine so many years ago.

Klaus