Saturday, May 26, 2018

A NEW POSTCARD POEM OPPORTUNITY FOR CANADIAN POETS

§

Ottawa poet and publisher, Amanda Earl, recently won a box of 100 postcards and she's dying to send you one! All you have to do is send one back, and to others on the list she's compiling that you can access if you ask her. Go to Amanda's blog post about it here to sign up.

Send as many or as few as you'd like. No hard and fast rules, although this particular call is limited to Canadian poets so as not to incur the pricey postage that comes with sending things out of the country.

Readers of this blog will have occasionally come across posts about the August Postcard Poem event that's going into its twelfth year this summer. Over the years I've gone at the process in a variety of ways. One year I had a box of images of the first thirty Nancy Drew covers so I wrote poems that related to them. Another time I used a Griffin Poetry Prize anthology to find epigraphs and write poems in some way inspired by them. There's even an anthology, 56 Days of August, that celebrates ten years of the fest.

Since first embarking on that project back in 2007 I've collected more postcards than I'll ever need, so I'm delighted there's another way to use some of them! People give me postcards. I culled scores of them from my late aunt's photo albums (note to self: what am I doing with my photo albums that nobody's going to want?) And then there's Postcard Place, the little shop on Granville Island that I can't walk past whenever I'm there. And on and on...

See what I mean?


§





No comments: