Saturday, March 31, 2018

T'WAS THE DAY BEFORE NATIONAL POETRY MONTH 2018...

§

GloPoWriMo, or Global Poetry Writing Month begins tomorrow. I didn't participate last year but I enjoy so many of the prompts I figured maybe I'd give it a go again. I've actually liked some of the poems that have come out of this little exercise in creativity. 

Today, just to get make sure the engine's running properly, there's an "early-bird" prompt—and it's to write a poem in the form of a love letter to an object, something you don't actually name, thereby also making it a riddle of sorts.


When winter takes its ugly tongue
runs it down my spine
raises goosebumps on my skin
sets my joints to whine
I find myself some sunshine
a draught or two of ale
I lift to finally thawing lips
and work at not being pale.



There. It's short. Not particularly sweet. Rhyme snuck in while the door was open and then got all belligerent the way Rhyme can and refused to leave, which meant wrapping up the party quick quick. 

And in that most poetic of ways, I lied, because "a draught or two of ale" sounded better than "tequila in a pail" which would also have fucked up my last line, so there you have it. You can't believe a word I say. And that's my blanket disclaimer for the foreseeable.

It's going to be that kind of a month. Hang around if you dare!

§


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this, and love your attitude about it.

Linda Crosfield said...

Thank you very much! It's almost the end of the month already, but I well remember how daunting the prospect of writing a poem a day for 30 days seemed at the outset. Thanks for reading.