Sunday, April 26, 2015

STEPHEN TALKS TO HIMSELF ABOUT HAIR AND OTHER POLITICAL DEVICES

§

NaPoWriMo says to try writing a persona poem today. A poem in which the speaker is not me. Does this not lead to the assumption that I tend to write in my own voice? And whose voice might I otherwise be writing in? Ah well. I won't quibble. I shall take on the voice of...???

Here we go:

Stephen Talks to Himself About Hair and Other Political Devices


I have a good head of hair.

I know what's best but I'm not going to tell you.

Sometimes when I'm alone in my room

I close the curtains and lock the door, obviously,

and stand before the full-length mirrors

on the closet, then slowly turn about.

I preen. I do, before I go back to my office

and cut off some sucker of a program's funding.

By now it's time for a snack.

Washing my hands after a visit to the lavatory I study my hair.

I have a good head of hair.

§

3 comments:

Caroline Woodward said...

I, of course, adore this poem! If you are prompted to write about an item of clothing, I look forward to your take on his cozy-- and always grandpa-endorsed-- sweater vest, meant to hornswoggle the voters into thinking he is a kind and cozy fella, champion of the over-dog.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah, that is some head of hair alright! hahahaha I love it!

poemworks said...

Linda! A little WCW and a lot of honesty. It hurts to read this poem and that is good. Thanks. Lowell.