Thursday, April 23, 2015

BLUE DECK INVITES INSPECTION IN THE LAYING OUT OF CARDS

§

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt is to find a deck of cards, any kind will do, pull a card, free-write about whatever moves you for five minutes, then turn the result into a poem.

Cards I've got. I have OH Cards and Medicine Cards and Karma Cards and Angel Cards and regular old 52-pick-up cards, and even a deck from Louisiana complete with recipes!

I think I'll go with the image cards from the OH Cards. Of course, depending on how you look at the box they come in, they could be HO Cards. And that would be something entirely different.

Shuffling.

And...we have a winner. It appears to be a picture of someone's hands laying out cards. Oh look! Here it is now!


I won't put you through the excruciating pain of a free-write. It's enough I write most of my April poems directly onto my blog. Some of them are not very successful at all, and this would be one of those but I got stuff to do here so here's the poem I got:


BLUE DECK INVITES INSPECTION
IN THE LAYiNG OUT OF CARDS


Blue — stuck here
on rug, on floor,
ungraceful yet promising
the act of reading,
the art of being read.

Why blue, these cards,
why yellow, that tray, or rug,
could be oilcloth, who can say?
Why face down; to save face?
Whose? And where and what outcome and why?

On the sideboard napkins fidget,

wait for treats to wrap around.
Hands preoccupied while dealing
think of sapphires, bands of silver,
cards laid out like tournament treats.

§

No comments: