Thursday, March 28, 2013

BACK IN THE SADDLE

§
Well, now I've gone and done it. Signed up to write a poem a day for thirty days in April, the month that's affectionately known as "National Poetry Month". I must be mad.

Actually, I won't post any new poems here (just in case any turn out to be good enough to send out; too many places would consider them "published" if they showed up here first). What I will attempt to do is to write a few words about one of the many poetry books in my collection.


I've just spent two days sorting out poems to send to various lit mags. Haven't had nearly enough rejection lately, so I figured it's time to do something about that! I know, I know, that's no attitude to go in with, but honestly, sometimes it just feels so futile, this getting published thing. Two packages went out today, one electronically and one in the mail!

Been home from Mexico for two weeks now. Tan is fading. Nasty cough/cold I had for the last couple of weeks there has finally abated. But I'm not reading a book every couple of days any more.

I came home to various chapbooks in the mail and to Holley Rubinsky's new collection of short stories, South of Elfrida, and what a delicious collection it is. I've almost finished it and I think it's her best book yet.


And that's it for now. Have to go round up some of those poems I mentioned and herd them into envelopes or cyberspace. Have to say, there's something very satisfying about seeing a stack of brown envelopes filled with dreams. Ready to gallop off into the sunset. Or find their way back home...

Okay, I'll stop now. Happy Easter Eggs!
§


No comments: