Thursday, April 03, 2008

SPRING COMES TO THOSE WHO WAIT

§

An expectancy of chairs.



The alpha poet.



Middle of March. A giggle, a gaggle, a clutch, a quill, a sonnet, a rainbow off poets gather to listen and learn and write. One afternoon we go walking, a solitary exercise this, a search for objects and images and the stories they will inevitably invoke as they make their way into our poems.









Beside the road a benevolent elephant,
burl-encrusted, beaming, invites me in
and I lean to its pocked and marvelous mantle,
close my eyes and there’s my boy.




Poet in the trees.



Above my head, a cradle-cat of branches
my boy would climb if he was here.





Poet on the road.



Geese squinch-squelch on spring-sodden ground,
fither-feather water in a synchronized float.





Poet in repose.


Stick-stalks surge from last year’s sedum,
pine cones pearl in a tree-root cave.




Poet laughing.



Green feather lichen, merry weather mornings,
garden-hugger buddha in his gray spring coat,
my boy’s a lover, my boy’s a rover
Wait long enough and the alder turns green.




The feeding and watering of poets.





Read and listen, read and listen, read and listen.

















And write.



And write.





§

No comments: