Monday, April 06, 2015

AN AUBADE TO WELCOME THIS NEW DAY

§

An aubade is defined as a poem or piece of music appropriate to the dawn or early morning. An aubade was today's prompt. I expect I should have written it in the morning, but first day back in the land of the north means being somewhat distracted, so I'm getting to it now, just before eleven p.m.


ON WAKING IN THE NORTH AFTER THREE MONTHS IN MEXICO



First light, I wake, uncertain as to where I am.
Yesterday I woke to the hum of the ceiling fan
and palm trees waving in the back garden.

Today I snuggle deeper in flannel sheets,
grateful for the duvet that presses me to them.
The quietness surprises me.

I miss the crazy cacophony of a Mexico morning.
And then I hear it: the two-whistle call of a chick-a-dee
calling for a mate and I'm transported

to a morning in spring when, as a child,
I heard the same call and sensed desire
though I didn't know what that was, exactly.

§

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...i guess now you do ;)
-dropping in from NapoWriMo-

Linda Crosfield said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

A lovely homecoming. Auditory memory (at least for me) is strongest. Salute!