Thursday, April 03, 2014

SIMPLY CHARMING

§

Well now. I'd forgotten how bent out of shape I can get trying to write poetry "on command". Why, why do I do this to myself?

Today's prompt does allow for a bit of silly, though, so I should be able to come up with something. We are to write a charm, " a simple rhyming poem, in the style of a recipe-slash-nursery rhyme."

So here goes. Given my recent experience while sneaking into the ocean for a pee, I have a charm that is dedicated to the shy, gentle (unless accidentally stepped on) stingray. Here we go:

How to Take the Sting out of a Stingray

Take two small steps and in you go
(ocean so much better than snow)
put your feet down with command
let the waves wash over your hands
visualize a sandy floor
where sleepy stingrays hide no more
so screams you'll never have to muffle
when you do the stingray shuffle


This one's dead, FYI

The business end of the stinger

Gotcha!

About that big

§



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Linda! Which prompts are you following this year?

Linda Crosfield said...

Thanks, C. So far, the NaPoWriMo ones, although I'll likely stray off the path from time to time. Last year I sometimes wrote about poetry books I was reading, as well.