Monday, April 22, 2013

A LITTLE DOWN-TO-EARTHY EARTH DAY POETRY

§


So far I’ve managed to get a post up every day during National Poetry Month. Still nine days to go, and it’s about to get really challenging pour moi as I’m leaving my little nest in BC’s interior and heading coastward tomorrow. A couple of nights in Vancouver, then on to Victoria for a Georgette’s reunion. Back in 2005 a bunch of us met because we signed up for George Bowering’s poetry course at the Victoria School of Writing. Many of us kind of bonded, and we’ve managed to have these reunions quite a few times now. Here’s a picture of us back in ’05. (If you can't find me, that's because I was still on the bottle back then.) There may or may not be an updated picture of us this weekend!

George Bowering and a bunch of poets, some of whom would go on to become Georgettes

Anyway, I’m taking a bunch of poetry books with me to potentially write about (like I won't acquire more when I'm there!) and if push comes to shove I can always throw in a couple of limericks or a haiku or something, because I'm blogging every day this month and that's that! Let’s see what today’s prompt is, shall we?

Thank you, NaPoWriMo who tells me: “Today is Earth Day. The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970 and is now celebrated internationally. In honor of the occasion, I challenge you to write a poem in keeping with Earth Day — it could be a reflection on what’s growing in your garden, a modern pastoral, or a Marianne-Moore-style poem about an animal. Anything to do with the natural world is fair game. Happy writing!”

Okay, here we go. An Earth Day limerick for you, from me, composed right here!

     Earth Day Contemplation, 2013

     The natural world is so wondrous
     the stuff it contains is humungous
     whether raining or hailing
     ‘gainst weather we’re railing
     seems nobody's happy among us

Oh, what the heck. Here's another. 

    First World Problems on Earth Day

     The old septic system is failing
     can't bathe and do laundry sans paling
     the toilet backed up
     there was more than a cup
     of bad news about which I am railing

That's  about as "natural worldly" as I want to get. You can understand that it's probably a good time to be getting away. 

§

No comments: