Friday, May 22, 2009

READING AT OXYGEN IN NELSON TONIGHT

§

Student Art Show and Reading tonight, Friday, May 22 at 7:30pm, featuring students of Oxygen's many classes in writing and visual art. Fresh Art 2009 showcases up-and-coming talent and gives students an opportunity to present their work to the public. As one of those students, I'll be reading a handful of new poems and I'd love to see you there.

Earlier in the year I took a partly online, partly face-to-face poetry course with Susan Andrews Grace. It was a great experience—Susan is a wonderfully perceptive editor and I learned a lot. She is also very good at prying new work out of you, thanks to various exercises and writing prompts. At the beginning of the course we got to choose a book of poems to work with during the eight weeks. I picked The Burning Alphabet by Barry Dempster, a poet whose work I was not familiar with. I enjoyed it enough to buy his new collection, Love Outlandish, which I'm looking forward to reading.

Last night I was there for Stuart Ross' Kootenay launch of Buying Cigarettes for the Dog. Can't put up any photos until I get home (forgot that particular cable) as I'm still in New Denver, but I will. It was a great evening.



Oxygen Art Centre, site of tonight's reading/art show, is located in the alleyway behind Hipperson Hardware in Nelson.

§

No comments: